Start a PTA
Is Your School Ready to Start a PTA?
You love your child’s school and want to make it better. As a grassroots organization, PTA begins at the local level – your child’s school. Washington State PTA is here to guide you through the steps for each local PTA to become an independent nonprofit business including requirements necessary to ensure compliance with state and federal laws. The process is unique to each potential local PTA, but there are general steps that every local PTA will take to begin chartering.
Creating or Reinstating a PTA or Switching from an Unaffiliated Parent Group
To begin the process of chartering a new PTA with the Washington State PTA, contact the state office via email or call (253) 214-7410 to set up an initial meeting/phone call to discuss the process for chartering and the benefits of joining the Washington State PTA.
What Happens Next?
The purpose of this meeting is to discuss Washington State PTA with a larger group and gauge whether there is enough interest to create and sustain a PTA in the community. If so, at this meeting individuals will be found to serve on the new PTA steering committee. The application for affiliation is filled out at the end of this meeting.
This meeting focuses on review of the Starting Your New PTA Manual and will assist the steering committee as they build standing rules, develop a budget and other items necessary for the charter meeting.
This is the meeting where the official vote to become a PTA/PTSA or council will take place. During this meeting, the charter memberships will be accepted (must have at least 25 members) and a vote on the standing rules, budget, and the nominating committee.
These are a series of meetings in which the new PTA support team will assist your new officers in building a lasting foundation for your PTA. They will include training, goal setting, committee chair and volunteer recruitment, fiduciary responsibilities and much more.
WSPTA Welcomes the following New Local PTAs in 2018-19:
- Greater Pierce Special Needs PTA 5.13.5 – April 2019
- MLK Allstars PTA 11.2.37 – April 2019
- Lincoln High School PTSA 6.15.485 – March 2019
- Wainwright PTA 10.9.220 – January 2019
- Rainier View PTSA 6.15.65 – January 2019
- Thornton Creek Elementary PTA 6.15.80 – October 2018
- Emerson PTA 6.15.100 – August 2018
- Sartori Elementary PTA 9.11.25 – August 2018
- Tehaleh Heights Elementary PTA 5.8.5 – August 2018
- Riverbend PTSA 15.2.20 – July 2018
- Stevens Creek PTA 7.6.7 – July 2018
- Wilburton Elementary PTA 2.3.15 – July 2018
WSPTA Welcomes the following New Local PTAs in 2017-18:
- Lakeview Hope Academy PTA 10.4.60 – June 2018
- Ella Baker PTSA 2.8.28 – June 2018
- Clara Barton Elementary PTSA 2.8.27 – May 2018
- Whitney PTA 11.2.10 – May 2018
- Spanaway Middle PTSA 5.3.30 – April 2018
- Trent Elementary PTA 15.3.47 – March 2018
- Stewart Middle School PTSA 10.9.280 – January 2018
- Leona Libby Middle PTSA 12.5.40 – August 2017
- North Creek High PTSA 6.10.80 – August 2017
- Meany Middle PTSA 6.15.420 – July 2017
- Cedar Park PTA 6.15.30 – July 2017
- Grand Coulee Dam PTA 15.1.25 – July 2017