Start a PTA
Is Your School Ready to Start a PTA?
You love your child’s school and want to make it better. As a grassroots organization, PTA begins at the local level – your child’s school. Washington State PTA is here to guide you through the steps for each local PTA to become an independent nonprofit business including requirements necessary to ensure compliance with state and federal laws. The process is unique to each potential local PTA, but there are general steps that every local PTA will take to begin chartering.
Creating or Reinstating a PTA or Switching from an Unaffiliated Parent Group
To begin the process of chartering a new PTA with the Washington State PTA, contact the state office via email or call (253) 214-7410 to set up an initial meeting/phone call to discuss the process for chartering and the benefits of joining the Washington State PTA.
What Happens Next?
The purpose of this meeting is to discuss Washington State PTA with a larger group and gauge whether there is enough interest to create and sustain a PTA in the community. If so, at this meeting individuals will be found to serve on the new PTA steering committee. The application for affiliation is filled out at the end of this meeting.
This meeting focuses on review of the Starting Your New PTA Manual and will assist the steering committee as they build standing rules, develop a budget and other items necessary for the charter meeting.
This is the meeting where the official vote to become a PTA/PTSA or council will take place. During this meeting, the charter memberships will be accepted (must have at least 25 members) and a vote on the standing rules, budget, and the nominating committee.
These are a series of meetings in which the new PTA support team will assist your new officers in building a lasting foundation for your PTA. They will include training, goal setting, committee chair and volunteer recruitment, fiduciary responsibilities and much more.
WSPTA Welcomes the following New Local PTAs in 2016-17:
- Decatur Elementary PTA 6.15.5 – May 2017
- Friends of Robert Eagle Staff Middle School PTSA 6.15.13 – May 2017
- Daniel PTSA 9.7.13 – April 2017
- Auburn High School PTSA 9.2.75 – March 2017
- Lake Stickney PTA 7.5.22 – February 2017
- Tacoma Special Needs PTA 10.13.10 – January 2017
- Kalles Jr. High PTSA 5.7.95 – December 2016
- Marysville Middle School PTSA 7.4.45 – November 2016
- Gibson PTSA 2.6.60 – September 2016
- Blue Ridge PTA 12.6.7 – September 2016
- Carbonado Historical School PTA 5.9.22 – September 2016
- North Elementary PTA 12.2.10 – September 2016
- Risdon Middle PTA 9.11.92 – August 2016