Membership is open to anyone interested in the health, safety, and education of children regardless of school boundaries. Our goal is a membership that reflects the diversity of the children and families across our state.
Anyone who would like to become a part of the state’s oldest and largest child advocacy organization may do so by joining a local or community PTA. Visit our History page to learn more about the amazing work PTA has accomplished. Click here to find a PTA anywhere in the state. Or, if your school does not currently have a PTA but is interested in affiliating as a PTA check out the Start a PTA webpage.
Membership is the responsibility of any member of a board of directors. To assist in the work of membership, there are many resources to help you share the value of PTA and the importance of the work PTA does.
Marketing material: those resources that you can plug and play without having to recreate anything.
- National PTA Membership Campaign – find graphics for social media, fliers, presentations, and so much more.
Awards and contests: these activities help you in setting goals and provide opportunities to share the success of your PTA.
- Monthly membership growth awards – achieve bronze, silver, gold, or platinum level based on member percentages. See the September achievement list here.
- Membership achievement awards
- 100% staff membership – enroll at least as many school staff members as there are full-time certificated employees at the school. This award recognizes the value of teachers and school staff as stakeholders advocating for all children through PTA membership.
- 100% PTA membership – enroll at least as many members as there are full-time enrolled students at the school associated with that PTA. This is the ultimate achievement in PTA membership and recognizes that every child in the school community has a paid PTA member to be their voice.
- Membership contests are held throughout the year and information is shared through various communication platforms. More contests will be added soon.
Spring towards your membership goal by gaining 5 new members between April 1 and April 30 AND earning at least a Silver Growth Award (a 5% increase over last years membership numbers) by April 30. By adding members, all PTAs will be automatically be entered into this contest.
Grow by 12 new members between March 1 and March 31 By adding members, all PTAs will be automatically be entered into this contest.
Share the love of PTA and grow by 14 new members between February 1st and February 28th! By adding members, all PTAs will be automatically be entered into this contest.
Earn a growth award by November 30 to be automatically entered into this contest.
Have 25 members entered and all required officer’s information entered in memberplanet by October 31.
Our goal is to grow membership by 5,000 members statewide in just one day! WSPTA will be providing promotional information and ask that all local PTAs join us to help reach our goal.
To learn more, make sure to check out this blog post.
9 Days to Go
As the school year churns forward, it can feel like momentum begins to wane for people to get involved with PTA. Here are some additional ideas to keep enthusiasm high and encourage new voices to become involved.
More on the art of the ask for The Great PTA Sign-up Day:
- Remember: PTA isn’t just for this year’s parents. Check over last year’s membership list and reach out to those who have not renewed their membership with a quick but impactful email message with your online join link:
- Example – Last year, you supported us by being a member of our PTA. Would you consider joining again? We are x number away from meeting our goal! Thank you!
- Print a small flyer with your “ask” message and a QR code for your online join link. Distribute it at the morning drop-off line and/or the afternoon pick-up line.
- Have a friendly competition – Divide your board members into teams and see which team can personally ask the most people to join and become new members.
- Are your recruitment materials available in multiple languages? Remember that not everyone in your community may have a firm grasp of the English language. Bridge that divide; demonstrate that they are welcome to participate and engage with the good work your PTA is doing!
Don’t forget about our super recruitment resources:
- Check out the Why YOU belong in PTA
- Think about how you can promote the Great PTA Sign Up Day in your community. Check out some ideas from WSPTA and from National PTA.
Make sure you have shared your online join link with WSPTA so we can add it to our Find Your PTA page. Submit yours at this link: https://bit.ly/3vXSV91. Need help setting up an online join link? Reach out to the WSPTA Support team at email@example.com for assistance!
16 Days to Go
The countdown is on to The Washington State Great PTA Sign-Up Day on Wednesday, October 26. Our statewide goal for the day is to register 5,000 members. With just over two weeks to go, we are asking all local PTAs to join us in this effort. Every week, we will provide tips and tools to make the day an enormous success.
It’s time to get creative! Please share this with your Membership Chair and get your whole board involved! Today, we’re going to focus on The Ask.
Get ready to frame your ASK for The Great PTA Sign-Up Day:
- Who will you ask to join your PTA – parents, caregivers, staff, community supporters, alumni? Remember: ANYONE can be a PTA member!
- How will you ask them to join your PTA – social media posts, flyers, personal contact? Diversify your methods to get the word out about your PTA and why people should want to be involved!
- Where will you ask them to join your PTA? – at a school event, with a table at the public library, from a printed invitation shared with customers by a local business. When your PTA has a visible presence in your community, more people will want to learn more!
- Where will WE at WSPTA ask them to join your PTA? – At our Find Your PTA page! As a reminder, make sure you have shared your online join link with WSPTA so we can add it to this page. Submit yours at this link: https://bit.ly/3vXSV91.
- Need help setting up an online join link? Reach out to the WSPTA Support team at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance!
And don’t forget to utilize our latest resources:
- National PTA has excellent new campaign materials for Why YOU belong in PTA.
23 Days Remain Until The Great PTA Sign-Up Day!
Mark your calendars – Wednesday, October 26, is the Great PTA Sign-Up Day. We are asking all local PTAs to join us in our effort to grow membership by 5,000 members statewide in just one day. In the coming weeks, we will provide you with all the tips and tools you need to make this day a major success.
Remember: anyone can be a member of your PTA! Membership in a local PTA helps build community, gives each member a voice and vote in important matters, and counts towards our state membership numbers that we can use to show our strength when we advocate in Olympia on behalf of all children!
You can begin working today on your membership plan in support of the Great PTA Sign Up Day:
- Utilize PTA’s new resource on Why YOU belong in PTA.
- Think about how you can promote the Great PTA Sign-Up Day in your community. Find ideas and resources from WSPTA and from National PTA.
- Make sure you have shared your online join link with WSPTA so we can add it to our Find Your PTA Submit yours at this link: https://bit.ly/3vXSV91. Need help setting up an online join link? Reach out to the WSPTA Support team at email@example.com for assistance!
Customize an inspiring membership thermometer showing your local PTA’s progress toward an annual membership goal or your Great PTA Sign Up Day goal using. You can find an example here: https://bit.ly/3peiWgI.
Thank you for all your support of this exciting effort. Together, we can make the Great PTA Sign-Up Day a spectacular success!
Have memberships equal or greater than 75% of last year’s final membership numbers by September 30.
Watch below to see the winners of our “On Track” membership contest. Great job to the 240 PTAs who qualified for this contest.
Keep those members coming!
Does your PTA have an active online join link? Fill out PTA Membership – Online Join Details by September 15 to be entered into this contest. Participation bonus: filling out this form means that your online join link will be added to the WSPTA website.
Congratulations to the winners!
Leadership resources: visit the password-protected Leadership Guides page to access many resources to assist your PTA in achieving your membership goals. In addition, National PTA recently launched a new membership resources page full of resources to assist you.
Washington State PTA provides each local PTA and council access to an online membership database through a platform called memberplanet. Each PTA is required to report its membership roster and elected board members in memberplanet. Please visit our membership database webpage to learn more and access the free tools and resources.
Thanks to National PTA for compiling data on the overall impact of PTA on schools and students across the country! Many leaders have been struggling with how to share the value of PTA when we cannot host our traditional events and activities. Please share some of these graphics with your community to show how important it is to support PTA.
How to Make Joining PTA Easy – Now more than ever, people want to connect with each other and know what is happening at their child’s school. Your PTA can fulfill the universal need to connect and belong, during this dark time. You should seek to not only renew current members but to reach out to new audiences, grow your PTA and build an even stronger community.
PTA’s process for building successful partnerships starts with the National Standards for Family-School Partnerships and consists of three steps:
- Raising awareness about the power of family and community involvement.
- Taking action to cultivate involvement through specific programs and practices.
- Celebrating success as your school sees increased involvement and its impact.
Additional resources to assist PTAs are located on this page including “Report: The Positive Relationship Between Family Involvement and Student Success.”
The National PTA School of Excellence program is based on these standards.
The new school year is upon us, and the PTA year is about to get into full swing! Hopefully, your board of directors had a productive summer retreat and is planning a fall membership drive and the first membership meeting of the year. In many areas of Washington, membership meetings will need to be held virtually, which may require a little additional planning. Read the full article here.
The best membership campaigns for 2020-2021 were the ones that didn’t require paper forms and payment to be collected at school. Virtual membership campaigns will do three things for your PTA: reduce face-to-face contact, reduce the time processing memberships, make it simple for members to start enjoying member benefits right away. Read the full article on the blog.
Beyond the Building: PTA the Virtual Way K-6
Beyond the Building: PTA the Virtual Way Middle/High School