PTA Men's Essay Contest - Men Making a Difference
This statewide essay contest explores the important and varied contributions that men make in the lives and education of children – from the children’s perspective. All men involved in a child’s life – fathers, uncles, grandfathers, brothers, step-fathers, mentors, neighbors, pastors, coaches, and friends – impact the children they care about. Research clearly shows that male involvement positively influences academic success at all levels of schooling – preschool through college. When male figures are involved with students’ schooling, they enjoy school more and perform better in and out of school. The application deadline is March 1st each year. 2017-18 information will be available in the fall.
Men’s Essay 2016-2017 Winners Announced
Grade level K:
Siya Gupta, Cedar Wood Elementary, Bothell
“My Daddy’s Essay”
Grade level 1-2:
Caitlyn Ewasko, Greenacres Elementary, Spokane Valley
“Men Making A Difference”
Grade level 3-5:
Alexander Wright, Samantha Smith Elementary, Sammamish
“Me and My Dad”
Grade level: 6-8:
Joshua Platte, Heatherwood Middle School, Mill Creek
“Grandpa, Me, and Jimmy Fallon”
Grade level 9-12:
Navik Nanubhai, Skyline High School, Sammamish
“My Dad is My Inspiration“
To help promote male engagement around the state of Washington, the objective of this contest is for students of all ages and abilities to write an essay about a male role model that has had a profound impact on their life. These essays, from the students’ perspectives, will serve to inspire positive male engagement.
Students may consider many questions when writing their essays including (but not limited to):
- Why is this male role model important in your life?
What life lessons, ethics, or skills has he taught you?
- Why do you look up to him and appreciate having him in your life?
- How would your life be different without him?
- How would other kids benefit from having a similar role model in their lives?
- Special author – Elementary (kindergarten through 5th grade)
- Special author – Secondary (6th grade through 12th grade)
- Kindergarten and grades 1-2
- Grades 3-5
- Grades 6-8
- Grades 9-12
- Essays will be scored on the current state learning standards for writing and will be scored on content, organization, language/conventions, and style per the program judging form.
- Deadline for submissions: postmarked no later than March 1 each year.
- Entries must include a completed and signed PTA Men’s Essay Contest application form (2017-2018 form will be available in the fall), typed or handwritten legibly on an 8 ½” x 11” sheet of paper, and be no more than 650 words.
- One entry per student; multiple entries from one student will be disqualified.
- Open to all Washington State children K-12 in public, private or home-school settings.
- Each entry must be an original, not be written by a parent or professional, has not previously won a prize, and does not infringe upon the copyright or other proprietary rights of any third party.
- Awards will be presented at the Reflections Celebration in the Spring.