WSPTA's Region 9 covers a portion of King County. It consists of the Auburn, Federal Way, Highline, Kent, Renton, Tukwila and Tahoma School Districts.
Region Director Tania Skinner
Hello Region 9 Councils & Local PTAs,
I am excited to begin this journey as your Region 9 Director for the next two years. With 5 councils, a non-council area and over 130 local PTAs in our region, there are thousands of students that we support and for whom we advocate! By working together we can make a positive impact in our region.
A little about myself – I have been involved in PTA for 13 years. I have held many positions, both elected and appointed, at the local PTA, council and service delivery team levels. I have 3 daughters – all have graduated high school – my youngest graduated just this past year. I have been asked the question (more than once), “Why are you still involved in PTA if your kids aren’t in school anymore?” The answer is always, “I’m not involved for only my children; I am involved for all kids!”
Serving along side of me will be the Region 9 Service Delivery Team. We will be on hand to support you in a variety of ways. We will share timely information throughout the year. We will be available to answer questions. We will offer training opportunities so that your board will have the information needed to run a fiscally sound and knowledgeable PTA.
As you each begin your new PTA year there are a few things that you should have in mind:
• Transitions – have your past officers transitioned with your new officers? This is a great way to pass on information such as contact info, passwords, and wisdom of the position
• Financial Review – has a financial review been completed or is one scheduled? This should be done before the Financial Books change hands for the New Year.
• New WSPTA Bylaws – Have you formed a committee to update your standing rules, making sure that they are in line with the updated WSPTA bylaws?
Below are relevant dates so you can plan your PTA Calendar year:
• Focus Day – February 3, 2016
• WSPTA Convention – May 20-22, 2016 in Yakima
If you have any questions or need assistance in any way as you begin this year, please don’t hesitate to contact me. Someone from the SDT team will be able to provide you the guidance you need.
I will end with a quote by Vince Lombardi: “The achievements of an organization are the results of the combined effort of each individual.” I’m looking forward to seeing what Region 9 can achieve with each of us working together!
Here’s to a fantastic start to this new PTA year!
With appreciation for all each of you do,
Region 9 Director