2018 Legislative Session
The 2018 legislative session convened on January 8 and is scheduled for a 60-day session ending on March 8. As a member, you know that advocacy is something that is done every day. Let your voice be heard this session.
- Have 2 minutes? Reply to a Voter Voice Action Alert. Register to receive Voter Voice notifications.
- Have 5 minutes? Find names of your legislators here and call the Legislative Hotline to leave them a message: 1-800-562-6000.
- Have 10 minutes? Download, print, and mail one of our postcards to your legislators. We have postcards with our 2018 WSPTA Priorities, and issue-focused ones on Social Emotional Learning, Amply Fund Basic Education, Addressing the Teacher Shortage, Post-Secondary Student Success, and School Construction and Class Size Reduction.
- Have 15 minutes? Send a personalized email to legislators telling them your story and why you care about PTA priorities.
- Have more time, and want to testify on a bill, or go speak with legislators? Read these Tips for Advocacy in Olympia before you go.
- Find the contact information for your Senator here, and for your Representatives here.
Advocacy happens every day. WSPTA encourages our members to continue to communicate with their legislators about our PTA priorities throughout the legislative session and throughout the year. Learn more about our legislative priorities and other supported issues by visiting the advocacy page. Under each member-approved issue you will find a one-page synopsis that you can use when speaking to your legislators.
Get weekly updates on WSPTA legislative priorities by reviewing the WSPTA Blog and searching on the category “Advocacy” or the tag “Legislative Session”. Each week you will find a Bill Tracker, a legislative schedule, and a weekly recap of action taken in the legislature.
Find your legislative district and contact information for your legislators here.
For more information on the Washington State Legislature: http://leg.wa.gov/.
During the 2018 legislative session, WSPTA will send action alerts to members who have signed up using our Voter Voice system. These action alerts are quick, easy ways to communicate with your legislators on topics they are actively working on.