Annual WSPTA Convention 2020
Dear PTA leaders and members,
On behalf of your Washington State PTA board of directors and staff, I would like to express my deep appreciation to all of the attendees, speakers, volunteers, and staff for your participation in the 107th Annual WSPTA Convention which took place virtually from May 11 to May 21, 2020.
We were able to accommodate over 900 attendees, provide 25 professional development webinars, eight panels with subject experts, and four business and general sessions. In addition, attendees could sign up for one-on-one coaching sessions to help them with specific issues and participate in two separate social networking game nights.
The business of the association was conducted on Saturday, May 16, revealing the results of the voting ballots on three key items. The delegates approved six amendments to the WSPTA Uniform Bylaws, one new resolution and amendments to three other resolutions, and the elections of four board members to serve the remaining year of the 2019-2021 term as well as three members to serve on the WSPTA Nominating Committee.
Each general session included highlights from our student programs: Reflections, WSPTA Essay Contest, and the WSPTA//Game Development Competition. Also featured were keynote and inspirational speeches by leaders in the field sharing messages about diversity and inclusion. Awards for local PTAs, councils, and individuals were presented. WSPTA awarded their prestigious honors to individuals for Outstanding Advocate, Nancy Chamberlain; Outstanding Service, Kerrilynn Robinson; and the Friend of Children to Representative Pat Sullivan.
It is my sincere hope that you were able to take part in this innovative, information-packed 11-day experience. And, that you feel energized to live out the WSPTA mission by being a powerful voice for all children; a relevant resource for families, schools and communities, and a strong advocate for the well-being and education of each child.
Thank you for all you do to advocate for every child!
Janice Kutzera, WSPTA President, 2019-21
Five Reasons You Can’t Afford To Miss This Year’s Event
- Raise your skillset. A variety of professional development opportunities will strengthen your abilities and prepare you for the coming year.
- Stay current with best practices. Learn the latest tips and strategies to help you build a plan for success within your PTA.
- Celebrate the amazing work of PTA. Before the world went upside-down, many PTAs shared the efforts they have undertaken in their schools and communities in pursuit of one or more WSPTA awards.
- Reconnect to PTA’s mission with like-minded leaders. Bring your questions to find real-world solutions, or just bring your curiosity. We’re sure you’ll discover answers to challenges you didn’t even realize you had.
- The power of connection. Walk away (or just close your browser window) knowing that you are not in this alone. There is a community of individuals available, ready to work side-by-side with you, as we all join together to help every child with one voice.