2017 Legislative Focus Day
Monday, January 16, 2017
Summary Thank you to all 200+ that attended Focus Day 2016! What a great day to Stand Up for all kids in Washington. Special thanks go to:
- Superintendent of Public Instruction, Randy Dorn
- State Budget Analyst, Kate Davis
- Representative Pat Sullivan, D-Covington
- Representative Chad Magendanz, R-Issaquah
- Senator Rosemary McAuliffe, D-Bothell
"Advocacy is not a one day event," Duncan Taylor, WSPTA Legislative Director.
Everyday Advocacy 1. Make an appointment with your legislators. Visit app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/ or call the Legislative Information Center (360) 786-7573 for information.
2. Know Washington State PTA'S legislative priorities.
3. Connect with other parents, teachers, and education advocates. Take time to network with other advocates at Focus Day. Find out what issues you have in common and what issues other families are experiencing.
4. Make sure to leave it in writing. Any information you provide, whether to legislators, other parents, teachers, or education advocates should be in writing. Verify that you have something written to leave behind, even if it is just a letter, postcard, or personal story.