WSPTA’s Region 6 covers portions of King and Snohomish Counties. The Northshore, Seattle, Shoreline and Vashon Island School Districts reside within Region 6.
Region Director Janice Kutzera
I can’t believe May is here already, and that this is my last month being your Region 6 Director. I’ve really enjoyed these two years, and have been so inspired by those of you I’ve met along the way. You give your time, energy and love for kids, and it is truly appreciated.
This is a time for transition, so below are some tips to make sure your PTA’s transition is smooth and productive:
• There’s still time to register for Convention! While the classes and general sessions are fantastic, some of the best parts of Convention is in meeting your PTA peers. Take time to meet people and share ideas and challenges. You’ll probably find solutions you never even thought of! And make this a fun road trip for your PTA buddies! Stop at the Roslyn Café or at the Thorp Fruit Stand – take a few extra minutes to enjoy yourself! Volunteer opportunities are still available.
• Attend your Council’s last meeting of this year, and invite your incoming board members. Councils are there to support each PTA in their district, so get to know these fabulous leaders and see how they can help you!
• Clean out those files and notebooks, and get ready to pass them on to your successor. Spend time with this person and go over the job description, important dates, and set them up for success. Treat them like you want to be treated as you move to your next PTA role.
• Schedule your PTA’s annual financial review. This should happen right after the June books are finished, in early July, so that the next board has a clean cutoff for next year. Don’t forget to take care of the signature card at your PTA’s bank with the new check signers.
• Make sure this year’s members are all entered into PT-Avenue, and that your dues are paid up in full.
• Get your PTA’s budget approved by your members before June 30th so your PTA can spend money over the summer if necessary. The budget can always be amended in the Fall.
• Recognize all the fantastic volunteers that made your PTA so awesome this year! Awards like the Golden Acorn, Outstanding Advocate, Outstanding Educator, and Honorary Lifetime Member can be ordered here.
• When all this is done, sit back, pat yourself on the back, and know that you’ve made a difference for the kids in your community. You are truly appreciated.
Thank you for your service, and I hope to see you at Convention. Come up to me and say “Hi” – I’d love to meet you in person.
Thanks for all you do for kids!
Region 6 Director -